Kentucky’s Sixth District is home to several unique, signature industries in agriculture and many farmers who work endlessly to provide our food. Agriculture plays a vital role in the rural prosperity of Kentucky and, yet, farmers continue to face many challenges in their industry. In Congress we must continue to work to find solutions that improve the lives of those in our rural communities.
- Supports legislation to remove burdensome regulations that hurt family farmers and stifle the agricultural economy.
- Supported the 2018 Farm Bill which included numerous priorities for Kentucky farmers, including the legalization of industrial hemp.
- Introduced H.R. 4711- The Industrial Hemp Banking Act, to ensure farmers protected under the Industrial Hemp Pilot Program enacted in the 2014 Farm Bill have access to capital.
- Voted in favor of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act which enacted several benefits for farmers. Specifically, it allows businesses to immediately write off the full cost of new equipment to improve operations and enhance the skills of their workers – unleashing growth of jobs, productivity, and paychecks. This includes farm equipment and horses.
- Urged House and Senate leadership, as well as the Secretary of Homeland Security to increase the sufficient number of visas to meet the needs of H2-B employers. Additionally, supported legislation to reform the H2-A, agricultural guest worker program.
More on Agriculture
|5/21/14||Barr Applauds Kentucky's Bid to Host 2018 World Equestrian Games|
|3/10/14||Barr and Tonko Convene Bipartisan Congressional Horse Caucus to Discuss Job Creation, Economic Growth in Horse Industry|
|12/9/13||Barr Statement on SOAR Summit|
|11/15/13||Barr Supports Kentucky Bid to Return World Equestrian Games to Lexington|
|10/23/13||Barr Votes to Protect Kentucky Jobs and Competitiveness|
|10/11/13||Barr, Whitfield, and Guthrie Call on Speaker Boehner to Assign Farm Bill Conferees|