One of the reasons I ran for office was to save this country from bankruptcy. Our nation is more than $30T in debt. The current course of excessive borrowing and spending is totally unsustainable. Congress must closely examine all federal spending programs for ways to achieve cost savings. Here are some of the things I have been doing in Congress to get our fiscal house in order:
- Voted for the Limit, Save, and Grow Act, which will rein in reckless spending in Washington that contributed to record inflation, rising interest rates, supply chain shortages, and instability in the banking system. This bill will set spending levels for FY24 at FY22 levels and allow for 1% annual growth over the next 10 years.
- This legislation saves our government $71B by defunding President Biden’s new army of 87,000 IRS agents that are being hired to target lower-and-middle income families and small businesses.
- The Limit, Save, and Grow Act saves $50-$60B by recapturing all unspent COVID-19 relief funding.
- Finally, this legislation saves as much as $1.2T by repealing green energy tax credits and subsidies.
- I’ve also voted in support of a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution. This reform would require the federal budget to balance unless Congress passes votes with three-fifths majorities in both the House and Senate to override the balanced budget requirement in a given fiscal year.
More on Spending and Debt
|6/20/19||Congressman Barr’s Amendment to Increase funding for Military Training Adopted by House|
|2/9/18||Berea College Receives Permanent Tax Relief|
|1/22/18||Barr Applauds End of Schumer Shutdown|
|1/20/18||Barr Calls on Democrats to End the Schumer Shutdown|
|9/8/17||Congressman Barr Fights for Fiscal Responsibility|
|8/22/17||Rep. Barr welcomes Ways and Means Committee Chairman Brady to Kentucky to discuss tax reform|
|5/19/17||Rep. Barr Reintroduces the TABS Act|
|5/4/17||Barr Votes to Fund Kentucky Priorities|
|1/13/17||House Takes First Steps Toward Repealing Obamacare|
|5/19/16||Barr Introduces No Bailouts for State, Territory, and Local Governments Act|