After the COVID-19 pandemic, our nation will be left with over $28 trillion in debt. The current course of excessive borrowing and spending is totally unsustainable. Congress must closely examine all federal spending programs for ways to achieve cost savings. Here are some of the things I have been doing in Congress to get our fiscal house in order:
- Voted against radical socialist proposals such as the $2T Biden stimulus plan in March of 2021. This legislation was dressed up as a “COVID-19 relief bill” but less than 10% of the package was targeted towards healthcare initiatives. Instead, the bill bailed out mismanaged state and local governments.
- Support the 2021 Republican Study Committee Budget proposal, which balances the federal budget in five years. The RSC budget also cuts taxes by $1.94T and fully pays for the tax cut by slashing federal spending by $14.4T over a decade.
- Voted in support of a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution. This reform would require the federal budget to balance unless Congress passes votes with three-fifths majorities in both the House and Senate to override the balanced budget requirement in a given fiscal year.
- Voted for the 2018 Farm Bill, which implemented reforms to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for able-bodied adults who receive SNAP benefits to have some work requirements.
- Cosponsored the bipartisan Build for Future Disasters Act of 2021. This proposal reforms the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to end subsidies for newly constructed properties in areas vulnerable to flooding. Reforming NFIP ensures taxpayers are not footing the bill for properties constructed in dangerous flood areas.
More on Spending and Debt
|8/15/13||Guthrie and Barr Announce Kentucky Field Hearing on Health Care Challenges Facing Workers and Employers|
|8/2/13||Barr Votes to Rein In Unaccountable Government|
|6/13/13||Barr Announces Redesign of Congressional Website for Sixth District of Kentucky|
|5/31/13||Barr Advances New, Innovative Infrastructure Plan|
|5/12/13||Barr Votes to Avert Default on U.S. Debt, Hold Administration Accountable for Spending Priorities|
|4/26/13||Barr Votes to Fix President Obama's Flight Delays|