Our nation enjoys many freedoms thanks to the service and sacrifice of those in the Armed Forces. Supporting and investing in our National Defense is a Constitutional duty of the Federal government and a primary responsibility of the United States Congress. That is why I have been a firm supporter of our nation’s military. This includes:
- Congressman Barr led the effort for the Kentucky National Guard to be selected to receive 8 new C-130J Aircraft. The Kentucky ANG’s current squadron of eight C-130H aircraft is rapidly aging and in need of recapitalization. The new C-130J aircraft offers improved capabilities to fulfill the ANG’s missions domestically and abroad. In particular, the new model will provide the Kentucky ANG a 25% greater immediate response capability when executing its emergency and disaster response missions.
- The House adopted Congressman Barr's Otto Wambier Sactions against North Korea in 2019. These secondary sanctions on foreign financial institutions that do business with virtually anyone that trades with North Korea, represent some of the stiffest sanctions on the Hermit Kingdom to date. The sanctions are named in honor of Otto Warmbier, an American student who died after being returned to the United States in a coma after more than a year of being held by the North Korean regime.
- Congressman Barr voted for the FY20 National Defense Appropriation Act (NDAA) which included a 3.1% raise for military servicemembers.
- Consistently supported the annual defense authorization bill that determined policies and priorities of the United States Military.
- Advancing the needs of the Blue Grass Army Depot in federal defense appropriations bills.
- Advocating for priorities of our National Guard in the appropriations process for programs like the National Guard Counter-Drug Program, aircraft recapitalization and modernization, and the National Guard Youth Challenge Program.
More on National Defense
|9/18/19||Congressman Barr Appointed to NDAA Conference Committee|
|2/26/19||Barr Stands for Increased Border Security|
|10/17/18||Congressman Barr, Chairman Michael McCaul Participate in Roundtable on Border Security|
|7/26/18||Barr Leads Efforts to Ensure National Security Interests|
|3/22/18||Funding Bill includes Barr Amendment to Step Up Fight Against Drug Trafficking|
|1/22/18||Barr Applauds End of Schumer Shutdown|
|1/20/18||Barr Calls on Democrats to End the Schumer Shutdown|
|7/28/17||Barr Votes to Enhance National Security|
|7/25/17||Barr Votes to Strengthen Sanctions on Russia, Iran and North Korea|
|6/29/17||Barr Votes to Strengthen Public Safety|