Our nation enjoys many freedoms thanks to the service and sacrifice of those in the Armed Forces. Supporting and investing in our National Defense is a Constitutional duty of the Federal government and a primary responsibility of the United States Congress. That is why I have been a firm supporter of our nation’s military. This includes:
- Congressman Barr led the effort for the Kentucky National Guard to be selected to receive 8 new C-130J Aircraft. The Kentucky ANG’s current squadron of eight C-130H aircraft is rapidly aging and in need of recapitalization. The new C-130J aircraft offers improved capabilities to fulfill the ANG’s missions domestically and abroad. In particular, the new model will provide the Kentucky ANG a 25% greater immediate response capability when executing its emergency and disaster response missions.
- The House adopted Congressman Barr's Otto Wambier Sactions against North Korea in 2019. These secondary sanctions on foreign financial institutions that do business with virtually anyone that trades with North Korea, represent some of the stiffest sanctions on the Hermit Kingdom to date. The sanctions are named in honor of Otto Warmbier, an American student who died after being returned to the United States in a coma after more than a year of being held by the North Korean regime.
- Congressman Barr voted for the FY20 National Defense Appropriation Act (NDAA) which included a 3.1% raise for military servicemembers.
- Consistently supported the annual defense authorization bill that determined policies and priorities of the United States Military.
- Advancing the needs of the Blue Grass Army Depot in federal defense appropriations bills.
- Advocating for priorities of our National Guard in the appropriations process for programs like the National Guard Counter-Drug Program, aircraft recapitalization and modernization, and the National Guard Youth Challenge Program.
More on National Defense
|12/12/14||Barr Statement on Bill to Keep the Government Open|
|12/4/14||Barr Statement on Preventing Executive Overreach on Immigration Act|
|9/17/14||Barr Stands up for Main Street Businesses, Honored as Guardian of Small Business by NFIB|
|8/1/14||Barr Supports Solutions to the Humanitarian Crisis at Our Border|
|6/10/14||Barr Votes to Enhance Health Care Choices for Veterans|
|5/22/14||Barr Votes to Enforce VA Accountability|
|5/19/14||Barr Announces Military Academy Appointees|
|2/11/14||Barr Listens to Sixth District Veterans, Takes Recommendations to Washington|
|1/28/14||Congressman Barr's Statement on the State of the Union|
|1/15/14||Federal Spending Bill Promotes Central and Eastern Kentucky Priorities|